2010年8月27日星期五

Does anyone remember the earth moving

Blockbuster, I’m tellin’ ya. Think Marty Scorsese’s too busy to direct? If not, I’d be willing to settle for Ron Howard.

Does anyone remember the earth moving around here back on Jan. 27? It must have jiggled a little, because that’s the day Theo Epstein signed free agent Nick Green to a minor league contract. Alex Cora was gone, and the Red Sox were in the market for a utilityman. Note that: utilityman, not shortstop.

“I can’t tell you that on the first day of spring training I envisioned him playing shortstop for us,’’ said Terry Francona. “That’s not the case.

We’re not superheroes yet, but we’re working on it. The Green Task Force is made up of employees who study our business practices and work to make them environmentally sound. RJE has glass, aluminum, and plastic recycling programs as well as paper, cardboard and metal programs. We have also instituted a “Lights-out-Friday” where all non-vital lights are turned off to minimize power usage.

Green construction has been around since the early days of stacking stone, but we’ve abandoned many of the practices in recent decades. Clemson University assistant professor of architecture Ulrike Heine says there are plenty of simple, passive low-tech strategies that could be included in building plans to save money and resources. And they have a long track record of success.

"Why don’t the very old houses from the last centuries have a problem with comfortable indoor climate?” Heine asks. “Why did people survive without HVAC systems?”

Going back to ancient times, architects took advantage of building form, thermal mass, passive ventilation and orientation to the sun’s path. While the ancient and not-so-ancient builders didn’t call it “sustainable,” they understood the principle


Living green is a choice I made when my first baby girl was born. Up until then I recycled and tried to save on my water consumption etc.. But I didn't gave the green way of life too much thought.


After my baby was born I went to buy her all kinds of baby products. I was under the false impression that I'm buying her only the best, but I was surprised to find out that most of the baby products we use contain dangerous chemicals that endanger our kids and contaminate the environment.

This was my turning point.

I realized that my daughter's health and future is in my hands and it's up to me to create healthy and toxic free environment for her to live in. To do so I needed to make a change in my family's everyday life.

I started by implementing small green changes.

I don't believe in making big adjustments that don't last long, but I do believe that if each and every one of us will take an action and do a small green change in their daily life, it will improve our children's life and benefit their wellbeing. Plus they will have the same privilege as we have, to enjoy our amazing planet to the fullest.

没有评论:

发表评论