2010年8月17日星期二

What happened? Did he fall

“Frank, I don’t have the money now, but you do,” Andy pleaded. “Just pay for Mom and I’ll owe you for half of the nursing home costs.”

“You’ll owe me? You don’t have two nickels to rub together, and probably never will. I’ll get stuck for the whole bill. What about my boat?”

“What boat?”

“Never mind. Let me think about it, and I'll get back to you.”

Frank never did send his mom the money to move into a private nursing home. Alone and unhappy, she died in the state nursing home only a year later. Andy never forgave his brother.

Many years went by. Frank’s health declined. He called up Andy one day. “Andy, I feel really bad about not helping out Mom. I was too interested in getting that boat. The older I’ve gotten, the more guilt I feel. My days are numbered, Andy. I was wondering if you would send me that clock, just for a little while. I want to beg Mom to forgive me.”

Andy was very reluctant to part with his clock, but he did feel a little sorry for Frank.

Frank died ten months later. One of Frank’s nieces, Flo, was the executor of his estate. Flo had hired a lawyer to help her Uncle Frank rewrite his will in his dying days. Strangely enough, Flo got everything.

She made sure Uncle Frank was buried a day after his death. No announcement was made about his funeral, which Flo kept private—at the 20-minute service, Flo was the only mourner. Flo sold Uncle Frank’s house, car, and boat within the week. Everything of lesser value went to a charity. His cash and stocks, of course, were already safely in her name.

When Andy discovered that his brother had died, he called Flo to ask about his clock. “Oh,” she said, “that went to charity with everything else. You didn’t really want that old thing, did you, Uncle Andy? Uncle Andy? Hello?” Well, that was rude, she thought.

“Oh, I’m fine, Ira. But I’m a little worried about Uncle Harry. I called him three times today and he didn’t answer once. I don’t think he could have been in the bathroom all three times, do you?”

“No, I don’t think so,” laughed Ira. “He does complain about that, doesn’t he? Anyway, I’ll go next door and see what’s up. If he doesn’t open the door, I know where he hides his spare key. I’ll call you back in a bit, okay?”

“Okay, Ira. Thanks a lot,” Teddy said.

A while later, Teddy’s phone rang. It was Ira. He sounded shaken. “Teddy, I’m sorry it took so long. I have bad news. Harry didn't answer the door, so I used his spare key. He was dead, Teddy. I’m sorry.”

“Oh, my gosh! That’s terrible!”

“I called the hospital, and they told me to call the coroner’s office. The coroner said they were busy, and wouldn’t be able to make it here until tomorrow or the day after.”

“What happened? Did he fall? Did he die in his sleep? Is he lying on the bed with a peaceful look on his face?”

“Not exactly, Teddy. He’s lying on the bathroom floor with a look of surprise on his face. We can move him to his bed later. But right now I’ve got to go home, Teddy. I think I might be in shock or something. I don’t feel right.”

没有评论:

发表评论